Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Sunday 30 August 2015

NIGERIA: Lagos: Ata Rodo (Scotch Bonnet Pepper)

Where I come from, cili padi or Birds eye chilli is the hottest of them all. We have it here in Lagos, Nigeria. It's labeled as 'Green Chilli' and it is RM14 per kilo. The ones we got were sold in SPAR Supermarket in Victoria Island, Lagos.

The 'Green Chilli' size comparison
My first encounter with Ata Rodo was when the stewardess (yes, it's steward or stewardess here) asked me if I want to try their soup (or was it prorridge) which she had just prepared. I said 'ok' and she returned with a bowl of which looked like a very thick, orange coloured mashed potato and it was spicy. She gave me a bowl to try, I only ate half of it. My tongue was numb after a few scoop of the porridge. I think it was called Asaro. It was bad experience for me..which I literally stay away from local dishes until the trip to Yellow Chilli Restaurant. That was in February...

So, Ata Rodo is what red chillies to me and you. It is important in their dishes. Ata Rodo is king here. King of the heat! It looked like a shriveled mini capsicum. It is sold everywhere, even the smallest grocer shop. Even at some fruit stall, ata rodo will be somewhere among the shelves or in a small plastic basket on the floor.

a typical fruit and vege shop, near my place
where I get my popoo (papaya) and pineapple
Can you spot the Ata Rodo? Can you?
close up of Ata Rodo (www.dobbyssignatures.com)
How chillies are rated? Scientists use a Scoville scale (Scoville Heat Unit, SHU) to measure the pungency or hotness of the chilli. It was invented by an American pharmacist, Wilbur Scoville. The heat component called capsinoids is extracted  (the chilli is dissolved in alcohol) and diluted in sugar water. The higher the SHU, the hotter or pungent the chilli is.

So how Birds eye chilli and Ata Rodo SHU score? Which one is hotter? 

(Ata Rodo) Scotch Bonnet at 100k-350k,
while Bird's eye only managed 50-100k on the scale
Ata Rodo or Scotch Bonnet packs more ummphhh and sweaty forehead at least twice or maybe three times hotter than Bird's eye chilli. Ata rodo is hot as hell (pun intended) but to the Naijas, to them it's just like stroll in the park. Aminu even told me that as early as a year old, he would give his children a taste of chilli to get them used to it. That was years ago..now they are young adults. Wow!!!

So, if you have death wish..or have trouble going to the toilet to....evacuate one's bowel (dump, crap, shit, poo..) Ata Rodo could be the answer....Aheh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment