Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Wednesday 19 August 2015

NIGERIA: Lagos: The best Suya in town...(only for the brave)

Looking at my draft file, I have lots to complete. Most I put on hold as I try not to .....BS (bull shit) my way to get it done, lest I irritate my dear Nigerian readers. But if I got it wrong, I kid you not that the info was from a local or readily available info online.... 

Back to the topic, today (Tuesday, August 18th) I decided to do some shopping. Hahhaaaaa.... Usually I leave it to Madam to do it but since she is in Abuja (again, to host some meeting..), I've got to woman up and do it for her. 

I passed Mega Plaza food court which is quite famous among others, for its Suya.

Clover Court sign...
Yes, Suya.. a spicy..no let me rephrase that, VERY spicy thinly sliced meat on skewer, barbecued and some would fried for a short while before cutting into small pieces and serve with fresh cut onions. Traditionally prepared by Hausa people of Northern Nigeria which can also be found in Cameroon and Niger.

Where the magic happens (on daily basis)
So off I go to Clover Court, off Glover Road in Ikoyi to get the best Suya around. There's no signage at the stall, just 2 or 3 men hard at work each with specific task.

the sliced meat on skewer
The meat on skewered were marinated first in the orange colour spice. You can see that, Abdulrahman covers the meat generously with the powder. The Suya marinate are readily available in super markets, here in Lagos. But it doesn't come close to the ones by the street.

just look at the powdered spice...lots and hot
The Nigerian really like their food spicy. So far, I've tried a few which really made me run to the toilet afterwards. Suya is no exception. It is very spicy (had to repeat myself) and after they pack your order, they will give you extra spice (i think it was the marinade) if you want it hotter. 

They have chicken and meat at this place. Meat will cost you N500 (about RM 10 per skewer) and N2500 (about RM 51) per chicken. There's no half or quarter chicken, it is the whole chicken  All or nothing, baby.

Chicken were already prepared..
except to put the marinade while bbq-ing
I asked for 2 meat and 1 chicken. Immediately Abdulrahman took one of the chicken on display and 2 skewer of meat on to the bbq grill. The chicken was a bit different the way he prepared it. While bbqing, he sprinkled some of the spice onto the chicken. 

master in action, the Padawan looked on...(note the pot)
It was Ado (at least that was written on his shirt pocket) took over the grill and dipped the meat into the boiling pot. He let it fried for about a minute or so before taking the meat and chicken out and slice them using their sharp knives. 

the frying process, before sliced into small pieces

the final process...cutting into small manageable pieces
Finally, generous portion of onions were chopped and wrapped together with the meat in aluminium foil. The chicken received the same treatment too. By this time, I was salivating profusely. The first time I tasted, it was memorable. I love meat...even more when they're bbqed. Anyway, I paid N3500 (RM 71, Lagos is 5th or 6th most expensive city to live in Africa...can you imagine that!).

You can either eat it with Jollof rice, eat it by iteslf or my personal favourite...between toasted bread and some mayo. The taste was heaven! Actually I bought extra for Madam, but finished it with Aminu. When Madam asked if there were any, I quickly sent Aminu for another round and left it in the fridge so Madam can have it when she comes back from Abuja. Phew!!!

Info: at the supermarket called 9to7 or was it the other way around 7to9, they have ungrilled suya for you to do it on your own. Marijke told me few months back..not sure how much though. But surely it will be pricier. 

Anyway, am pretty sure Madam wouldn't be able to finish the suya I bought....hmmmm can't wait for her to come back..but for the wrong reason..hahahahahhaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment