Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Wednesday 19 August 2015

MALAYSIA: Bitten by the Photo bug....Oh SNAP!!!!

Most of us nowadays have FB and IG... Depends on how you use it. It can be a tool for you to achieve greatness, get information, be inspired, acquainted and connected to most or maybe some of the influental individual in so many field. 

One of them advertised a rarecation (yes, it is rare...) in his FB page. I commented and sent him an email, reminding him how we met and told him that I am interested to join this rarecation he is organizing. Left my Lagos phone number for him to contact and the very next day, I got a reply from via WhatsApp. It was great to recieve the message from Saiful and I sign up on the spot. 

the advert for rarecation..this one is to Guilin in China organized by Saiful Nang

Why rarecation?...Instead of the usual tour, of going to places of interest by tour bus, spending your time just travelling from one shopping centre to another... this time it would be more 'relaxed'..travelling from one places to another using any means possible (public busses, tuk tuk, pick up truck, rick shaw etc). The focus would be to absorb the surrounding, the landscape, the people and their culture...basically observing how they live. Emphasis given on the journey and since this is Saiful Nang we are talking about, a good chance to learn about photography at the same time. Oh ya, we have to cook our meal together and would be waking up very early to catch sunrise and taking night sky photography.

DSLR camera is optional. Use what you have, but he asked me to talk to one of his friend Syibli Fakih, a landscape phtographer. He is the CEO of the Saiful Nang Academy of Photography (SNAP) in Bangi. 

So when I finally got back, took the chance to meet up with Syibli. We chatted about photography and family. It was then I realized that his late father, Ustaz (teacher) Fakih was my first religious teacher when I was 7. He taught me Quran, tawhid and fiqh. In Malay, we have this phrase "how small the world is"...truly indeed. I told him stories about his late father, as he wasn't born yet. 


We spoke about camera and he recommended that I use something compact but comprehensive enough like the DSLR. It was called mirrorless camera. So, I wouldn't have to chuck out large amount of money to take up photography seriously, and if photography is not for me..it would be a nice camera for a hobby. Most people would buy the most expensive (along with accessories) but has no idea of using it. Let alone take the effort of getting to know how to use it properly. It is an expensive hobby...I admit, but with proper guidance and instruction from the pro..you could make money out of it!!! He mentioned a brand and asked me to take a look at it.

Sony A6000
A trip to Low Yat Plaza and I am a proud owner of the Sony A6000 camera. Quite decent features, ISO up to 25600, Speed up to 1/4000 (with BULB feature in full manual) and Aperture from f3.5 (i've seen 2.8, I think) to f22 or higher. OK...now what... I did some practise with it. Snapping away till the battery was spent but knowledge about it was still a big ZERO. Apart from getting pointers from Afifa (my youngest sister), reading books..it was time to call in the pros. 

Enter, SNAP. The Saiful Nang Academy of Photography (initiated by Saiful...this is just one of many. There's RPWP, Sarcasteek butik, Candid Syndrome etc etc) in Bangi has quite expansive courses offered on monthly basis. From the Basic Digital Photography, Wedding Photography, Potrature, Photography Editing, Basic Speedlight and the rest. Managed by Syibli Fakih(as mentioned earlier), he has photographers at his disposal assisting him to run the academy. Classes are usually on Saturdays from 9am onwards. If you're in Malaysia, and interested to know about the courses..feel free to WA or SMS the SNAP Admin at 010-222 9089 

These were some of the shots, during the Basic Digital Photography Short course



Mirul Amir assisting a participant


Rahim Isam explaining about the Rule of 3rd (RO3)


Framing method

Rahim Isam during a practical class... this one was about panning and shutter speed... 

Early attempt at 'Bokeh' 
Intense....
There were other courses that I attended, but that was before I got myself a camera. Don't fret if you don't have any. Inform them in advance and they will prepare one for you. Syibli personally coached me on Photography Editing using Lightroom. I have to admit, taking pictures are easy peasy..but editing (not too excessively though) is another. Editing takes lots of time and energy. In Saiful's book (Kisah Orang Menang) - Story of a Winner (the best I can come out with), he mentioned burning the night oil. Spending as little an hour or two of sleep to come up with the best product for his client. 


the book by the man himself..in his own unadulterated words.
Available in book stores all over Malaysia
Anyway, I am going for a trip this coming October..InsyaAllah (Allah willing). To Munich...well not just Munich..will update later..Once I come back. Looking forward to it and to learn as much as possible from them (Saiful and Syibli will be with me all the way). 

There you have it...finally, after 38 years on earth, I finally catch the bug...The photography bug..Aheh!!!


1 comment:

  1. Saiful Nang Academy is the best for those who want to professional photographer.
    SoftsOcean

    ReplyDelete