Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Friday 13 March 2015

Throwback: This Is It!!! (December 2014)

The Sound of Music. A widowed naval captain with 7 children. The songs they sang were mesmerising. I remembered memorising the 'Do-Re-Mi' song. I can relate my father to Captain Von Trapp...without the whistle of course. The word martinet comes to mind when describing Abah (dad). 

But this posting is about good bye.. and the song 'So long, Farewell' seems to fit the bill. Well, this is it everyone..to a new place to call home for the next few years. An expat. 

The ladies gossiping like there's no tomorrow

The usual crowd came. Mak Teh and Ibu with their family. There were also Tok Chik (Wan's brother) with the rest in tow. As usual,  there were makan-makan featuring dishes from Madam's home town...all with santan (coconut milk) in excessive portion. Note: where Madam came, they are famous with Masak Lemak/Lomak (dish with coconut milk). But no point in eating a lot right now, I certainly wouldn't want to experience diarrhoea while we are 'up there'. 

Aboi Pyan, Wan and Wan Chik (Tok Cik's wife)

Is and his mom (Mak Teh) and Ibu

Gee and Norlin (both Mak Teh's DIL). Note various dishes on the table.. also note the chicken rendang on the foreground. Famous family dish

Sisters: Ain and Lin (Ibu's daughter)

Gee (again) and Wan (CEO or General, what we boys calls her during big cookouts. She will be instructing the mother's what to do)

Shida and daughter, Sara

It was after maghrib that Madam suggested us to depart for the airport. Du'a was recited for our safe journey and new assignment overseas and goodbyes were said. I can tell you, it was the first time I saw my grandma (wan) in teary eyes. Well, Madam was and I bet is still one of her favourites. I remembered that when I first met Madam, it was the grandma that I had to impress. The rest, were easy peasy. I am very smart, yes. Their community is matriarchal  so...grandma comes first. Goshhh...I am so clever. Twice in a paragraph, I am so vain. Indeed.

Btw, I forgot to mention that we are heading towards London for holiday and to visit my sister and her husband (Zuhaira and Fikri) first. We will be staying at their place in Shepherds Bush, not far from London. 

The holiday was meant to tune all of us to GMT zone (-8hrs) and later to CET (Central European Timezone) which is similar to Nigeria (-7hrs). Also, it will be the first time Madam and the children to London. It will be the best holiday ever! I still remembered mine, in 1983! I was 6 at that time...but well, all the historical buildings will be pretty much the same.. only different season, WINTER!!!


One for the road...

Du'a by Pak Teh
My brother and mom were already at the airport. So does Pak Andak and family. Off we went to KFC for dinner while the kids played at the nearby playground. No one cried yet....great.
KFC time! Mak Andak (lady in red). 

Pak Andak Limo (not the Limo, but the number 5 (lima in malay, and limo in Negri dialect) with his daughter, Intan

Madam's parents, Hjh Rosnah and Hj Hassim

Ben, Adam and Rayyan 

Madam's brother, Shukri and wife, Amy with their daughter, Seri

My mom and step-father
Group photo always...and I mean always signifies that it is the end and we should move on. And thus the routine that follows, salam (hand shake), a bit of advise from the elders and a peck on the cheek. Do a little bit crying (just don't over do it) and you're ok. 
Me and Fay with Azmeir and wife, Dina and little Zara

My side of the family

Madam's side of the family

Madam's sister with Fay

Two best friends, Adam and Ben
All done now? Good. Let us get going. London, here we come! 

Flight KLM:
Kuala Lumpur - Schiphol - London 


2 comments: