Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Wednesday 25 March 2015

Nigeria 101 (I didn't come to you by chance)

Honestly speaking the transition from working to babysitting is unthinkable. I know some would say that I should count my blessing since in Malaysia, the children were with Madam in Johore and I was alone in KL (staying at my mother's place). We were weekend husband and wife.

To make it twice difficult, it will be Nigeria. Lagos to be more specific. The moment we informed our parents, we got the classic treatment. The disbelief look from my mother-in-law,  Q&A session from my mother...But my father, my dear ole dad; he told me to go for the sake of the children. Ben and Fay will be going this time.


Nigeria! 

Nigeria's location within the continent. 
The cradle of civilisation. 
Not the latest map though. (google image)


I remembered some years ago, I received a letter from the "UN" saying that my name was registered in a "Poverty Eradication Program" and another one from Ban Ki Moon (SG of UN) regarding the same program. Both mentioned Abuja. Great..I am sure most of us had received that sort of mail and now, am going to the source of it. Oh yes!


The e-mail

So, among the first thing Madam did was to introduce me to a few of her colleagues. We had chit chat and talked about the new place. In the end, I have to agree that they are a bunch of hard working people. Granted, that the country is facing a lot of serious issue. 

Online scamming which is actually not limited to Nigeria alone, the Netherlands, US and UK too actually; apart from other African countries. Boko Haram is another major issue, in the northern state of Borno. Rest assured that the government is doing their best to eradicate it once and for all. 

I remembered what the HR director (Tomi) told me on our meeting, "face it, bad news sells". He had his share of stories too, and continued "after more than 40 years of my life living in this country, only once, just once, it happened to me...it could have happened anywhere, and many times too"

"Nigeria is huge, my friend. A trouble caused only by 1% of the population is already a few million" (almost 1.8 million).  At last, I could say...I am at peace, for the moment. 

Let me share you SOME info on Nigeria. Let me enlighten you...


Map of Nigeria with its 36 states and neighbours (source:wiki)

The official name, Federal Republic of Nigeria, comprising 36 states with Abuja as its Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Formed in October 1st, 1960 and became a Republic on the same date and month in 1963. Neighbouring Benin to the west, Niger to the north, Chad in the north east and Cameroon lies in the east. Its south coast lies in the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean. 

Also known as the "Giant of Africa" or "The Nation of Great River". Two great river, Niger and Benue form the Y-shape resulting in totally different areas geographically and socially. The river met in a place called Lokoja.


All 36 states, the Niger and Benue River (source:wiki)

A population of 175 million people in an area 4 times the size of UK, it is home to 1 in 5 African in the whole world! An incredible mix of 250 (some researcher mentioned 280-500) different tribes, each with its own language, tradition and religion. Its intense variety and rivalry affects its geopolitical situation in the country. Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo are the three largest tribe with each occupies different area within the country marked by the great rivers (but they move in and out of their territory)

To the north of the river, Hausa and Fulani (21% of the population) are two major ethnic group. Majority are muslims with long history of contact with North Africa and the Middle East due to trade relations. 

Rich in agriculture, the Yoruba (21% of the population) is the main ethnic group in the western area. Muslims, Christians and even indigenous made up the three main religions here. Yoruba land, in some of the books I read referring to this particular area. Lagos is in this area.

Oil, the black gold. East of the great river resides the people of Igbo (21% of the population). I've heard people make joke about them. 'Only money matters to them'. Eastern climate and topography similar to the west.

So, how do they communicate? The language difference are not merely dialect but the actual language itself (521 spoken, 9 extinct!). Chicken and duck, one cluck and the other quack. It is English that binds these people together. (I wonder India and China with more than 1billion people, the tribes and their languages..mind boggling!). 10% of China's population, already 250 tribes.

Birthrate...this is Madam's field of expertise as she is in the FMCG business.. it's 38/1000 she said. That roughly translates to about 6,000,000 (six million!) newborn every year. I always enjoy reading old books about Nigeria in the library. Yesterday I read one saying population is 120million (yr 2000) and 15 years down the road, it blossomed to 180!!! Imagine the potential! Manpower and business!


The Flag:
 
The flag of Federal Republic of Nigeria

The bicolour flag of green-white-green in which the green colour represents agriculture and fertility while the white, unity and peace. Fertility of land and the poeple are amazing. You would see banana trees and mangoes by the roadside. Amazing soil. Annnndddd the people, I read somewhere..on average a woman would gave birth to 6 children. Maybe more.

I liken them to peacock. Now, now..read first. They dress well, really well and very colourful too! I love the colours. It makes me happy. They dress to impress, mind you. Many a times, when I am at Madam's office before I went out to do my things I would peek and commented her colleagues sense of style and colour....so refreshing!!! Yes you guys in the office, I do look around.


Their National Anthem:
Arise, O Compatriots

Was adopted since 1978 and the lyrics were taken from the top 5 of the songs submitted in a national contest. 

Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith.
The labour of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

O God of all creation
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And live in just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

The note...in case anyone interested. I did.

Ben and Fay sang at school..usually just the first part. The song sounds something like this (sorry, worse than amateur pianist)




Anyway, too many to write about, but thats about it I guess at the moment. Nigeria to me, in a nutshell. Politics can wait. 

Right? Aheh, I hear you say.


p/s: tried to embed a video of the national anthem, but couldn't...will try again next time. 






4 comments:

  1. I must say,,, I learnt a lot from this post....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. masuk rmh orang, kena kenal2 dulu tuan rumah dia...

      (you enter other people's house, get to know them first)

      Delete