Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Thursday 26 March 2015

Election 2015

Come this Saturday, March 28th, 2015, the whole nation will cast their vote to elect their State Rep and ultimately the President. 

It is a topic which I clearly put under the label - "Later Later" - and one which I am not comfortable to write about. I fear whatever I write online, could be used against me. Oh my,  I am so getting a shitload of comment from uncle and batch mates about this (I doubt they read my blog anyway)....


Presidential candidates:
Current President - Goodluck Jonathan from PDP
vs Gen. (rtd) Muhammadu Buhari from APC


Before you say, "sod off, he doesn't know politics" unto you I say "up yours! I know lots". Trust me...I know. Just a silent observer and accessing things around me in my own time. Only once awhile, I would give my opinion. I don't like to cross sword with others. People can be so negative and i don't like to see smart people saying stupid things..whoosh..I lost my respect for you...

But not writing about it (the election and a bit of politics), will not give justice to our new Home (Nigeria) which in Allah's infinite wisdom has given us good life and bless us with new friends which I am happy to associate myself with. aaaannnndddd... there is of course......Madam, who always pester me to write this and that. Since it is the only thing our Nigerian friends have been talking the moment we arrived, a proper write up is in order. But may I remind all of you, it is just from the point of view of one Dzul Sahid...moi. 

Firstly, let me point out that the election was actually scheduled on the February 14th when suddenly a news reverberated the whole Nation...postponed! APC (All Progressive Congress) party was in an uproar! PDP (People's Democratic Party), the Government of the day cited that a fair election cannot happen if the country or certain states in turmoil (referring to BH in Borno) and also a lot of the PVC (Permanent Voters Card) had not been collected by registered voters....Yes..They have a specific ID card saying that you can vote..don't ask me why...just remember what Dolapo said in Madam's fb, "That's how we roll". That is the mantra...


The said PVC (source:imostateblog.com)

Back to the postponement issue, the government requested 6weeks and the election new date will be on the March, 28th 2015. 

Ad in newspaper..repeated
 again and again

What I noticed here in Nigeria, there's not so much of 'poster war' by the candidates of both parties (APC and PDP), maybe there are, but they take the fight to the mass media with much vengeance. Radio, Youtube, FB and of course newspapers. The catchy jingles on radio calling out for support of the party of the candidates, non-stop new ads in Youtube from both parties, documentaries of each candidates, supporting and smearing  campaign etc. 

In FB, daily 'suggested posts' by cybertroopers from each camp gets in the way of your peaceful stalking activities. There was a posting on sexual habit of one candidate..the other one retaliated in similar manner. Pictures of lavish weddings etc, and not few weeks back a post regarding a young man on a bed made out of money and reason why not to vote the candidate of that family etc. Sex! Money! Bad news really make good headlines!


Along Ozumba Mbadia Road to Lekki

On Falomo bridge

Huge billboard overlooking Victoria Island
erected by PDP

poster of PDP candidate at the
back alley of Ikoyi

Both Presidential candidate would also go from state to state, meeting Oba (King), Sultan, traditional chieftain and past leaders seeking their blessing and also support. From time to time too, both parties will flex their muscle organising huge rally attended by at least a few hundred thousands to millions. It's huuuuuuggggggeeeeeeeee!!!!!!


The usual view at a rally (source: google)

Anyway, Madam hosted a dinner for her colleague a few weeks after our furniture arrived (best to mention in another post) and the topic about the upcoming election somehow wriggle its way thru the conversation. I wont say who won that night, but I gathered that there were healthy support on both side (slightly on the other guy, wont tell which one) but the argument was done there and then, with much seriousness to make a point but once all said and done, shake hands and parted but still a friend. No hard feelings.

In the newspapers both party APC and PDP, I would say, receive similar coverage. There will be news and adverts on both sides too. Adverts cost money, and here you could only imagine the amount of money spent for the purpose. 


Poem for Buhari and Osinbajo

special coverage on the
President's pledges made previously

The President's report card, A++ of course

I don't think we can do this in M'sia

This one too..

Projection of the election...wow!

APC's giving 'some' back



But what I would like to emphasis here that both party, have the same chance to reach out to every single PVC holder and gain their support. All it takes are 'some' Naira (their currency). Well, at least in my point of view..remember its my blog, better to give equal coverage (be it by paying money, after all it is still business to the newspaper company) as long as there is chance to reach out to supporters or to vie for new voters out there. But, IMHO...this election will be the closest ever in the history of Nigeria.

I would not comment on the 'other' things that happened during the last election, but am receiving text and WA telling about some unrest at certain areas right now. Worry? Yes, but I do hope, Nigerians will come out to vote, and vote  peacefully and the result would be the voice from the people. After all...

Salus populi, suprema lex esto 
"the welfare of the people is to be the highest law"

Politicians, you have two choices..either leave a legacy... or to be remembered as a person of not 'nice and low quality' (sorry, bad choice of word)..so low that the people would have to squat to spit on your grave (from the late Terry Pratchett, author of Discworld).

My prayer and thoughts with you Naija. After all...

Naija, THIS IS NIGERIA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment