Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Throwback: Makan-makan in Ampang (December)


Organised a makan (makan = eat, the act of putting food into mouth to chew and swallow, ję in Yoruba) at my mom's place in Ampang. A mini gathering with batchmates, neighbours....and relatives before departing in a few days time.

Me and Madam. The woman that made my life difficult...but in a nice way ;-P
l-r : me, Epit, my step father (Hj Ramlan), Gabai and Aiwa
It was a very small gathering. We ordered some kueh and MIL's famous Mee Kari (Curry Mee). Aunty Sharifah from next door came and of my batchmates, Aiwa was the earliest to arrive with his daughter. Gabai and Epit came slightly later, followed by Auzir. Hailzam and Ska, the eligible bachelors came together and Suri. Well Suri came with his family. Curious.....indeed.


Suri (orange shirt)
Picca was the last to arrive, with his then fianceé (now wife, they wed in Feb' 2015). Sorry no pictures of them..it was a short visit. They were heading to another function later that evening.


Among the relatives, Abang Cor and family came. Also my aunts, Kak Elis and Kak Shawn with their niece (yes, I call them kakak, sister...still young). It was later when I browsed the pictures only then I noticed, Opah (grandma) was around too. The ever youthful Uncle Dol (Dato' Kamal Yan Yahaya, mom's only brother) and Aunty Sabrina round up the guests we invited that day.

l-r: my mom, me, my aunts (Kak Shawn and Kak Elis) and their nephew

my grandma (in black tudung)
Me and Uncle Dol (Dato' Kamal Yan). We used to have the same sort of hair style..curly hair. Until my hair gave up on me....oh oh.. got no pictures of Aunty Sabrina..
It was very homely (of course).. we have a big yard at the back of the house. Many memories here (me and Azmeir accidentally doused the fence with petrol...hmmm doesn't sound it was an honest mistake...petrol..). The coconut and rambutan trees...makeshift badminton court.. and now looking at Ben and his cousins, how time flies. 

Rayyan, Ben and Adam

Azmeir's Mini-me
 Dina and daughter, Zara (Azmeir's)

Azmeir and Zara with Fay 
Madam holding Zara, with Aunty Sharifah beside them
As with all makan-makan, it was short but sweet. A small gathering until we gather once again soon for another round of makan-makan. I can tell you the pressure was building by that time...but too late to chicken out now. Madam is just too excited to go and the children? New place, new school, new friends to be made...

Me? I just keep my mouth shut. Some congratulated me of becoming a home maker, only to receive the royal salute in response (read: middle finger)..I was a sourpuss. Maybe it is Allah's way to give me more rezeki, by moving to another place..hijrah (migrate). At times like these, I remembered what my boss said in one of our Monday Meeting.."if you're stuck, move. Move forward. Then you look back, but from a different angle.." 

Maybe it is not bad, after all. 

2 comments:

  1. New place, new experience (talking from experience. Ahem) :) love the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete