Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Monday 28 September 2015

NIGERIA: Ogun State: Abeokuta (Madam's Function)

Earlier this week, Madam informed that she is going for a day trip to Abeokuta in Ogun state. It was for a mini launch of the latest product of the company she's working with. I asked if I could follow, so I could practise a little bit more with the camera. I can imagine the setting, a small hall...not that brightly lit and the local guests too. It would be a challenge for me to adjust the camera to get the right exposure to take the pictures of the attendees.

Anyway after short stop in Maryland because at the same time the company had brought in some trainers and Madam had to attend too. The plan was to leave around 10am to Abeokuta. Since we are leaving Lagos state, we expect traffic will be at minimal and will arrive around 12plus thereabouts. 

Lagos - Ibadan expressway



State road to Abeokuta
Oh...how wrong we were. We did not take into consideration  the time needed to get out from the area in Maryland. We were running late to the function in Abeokuta, Ogun state where Madam was supposed to give the opening speech at the function. The road was ok, except for the super license drivers of the danfo and lorries also racing to their respective destination. We had to be careful, but the state road to Abeokuta was empty except for few taxis and the occasional motorbikes.

A very lively shocking green colour roundabout greeted us just when we about to arrive at the venue. GLO (mobile service provider) stickers on the facade of the roundabout. But I like the colour....bright colours makes me Happy!!!





Just a short drive from that bright colour landmark, we arrived at the function hall. In Nigeria, these sort of place are quite in demand. Weddings, birthdays, meetings, product launch  etc etc... I've been observing around Ikeja over the weekend that these function hall are all over the place, actually. You can rent them and most comes with their own generator, so no problem with power shortage. Oh ya, you still need someone to decorate the place to your liking though.


Ada and Ngozi

As usual, the team were already at the venue assisting with the registration, picture taking and ushering the attendees to the function hall. It was a small hall by the way, since it was a mini launch. They did the major launch in key cities all over Nigeria. This one was to complement and to further spread the news about the new product. Madam was due to give the opening speech which I had a once over in the car. 

The emcee invited the VIP guests to take their seats at the main table in front of the hall and proceeded to introduce each of them. But before the function can begin, all guests stood up to sing the National Anthem of Nigeria followed by the State of Ogun's song which I think it was in Yoruba language. 

First to come up was Madam with her speech. Then it was a blur to me. I held the camera closer and started to take pictures of the event. Snap..Snap..

Madam...all smiles because we arrived on time
the emcee is a pastor from the local church (I think)



 Some of the other VIPs


practising 'bokeh' style photography, where
you blur out the background

The main speaker,
Assoc. Prof Dr. Bolanle Fetuga introduced by the emcee

Still introducing the speaker to the attendees.
She IS a very accomplished paediatrician...the list of her
accomplishments were long
The speaker in action...

'Ugo' with the moderator and Esther



Hope was everywhere... I mean the lady in blue.
Her name is Hope.





Ugo and Esther, I wonder what was she pointing at..



The ambiance of the hall was great. They were listening attentively to AProf Dr. Bolanle and at the back of the hall, I was making friends with the waiters and cameraman in charge of the event. 

The photographer (standing) Dave Adeshina has an Instagram account under the name @Aleshstudios. Pictured here with his assistant printing pictures of the attendees on site, which is a norm in Nigeria
Cameraman in action
The waiters in blue 
I wonder what kept these two grown men
engrossed with the phone. What is the most played game in Nigeria?

Three's Company
Ada, Hope and Ngozi... the back benchers


Meet Ruth...the new rep from the company
Ugo giving a short introduction about the new product



John Paul (JP), the National Detailing Mngr
This time around, I noted that there were many dishes. More than the major event I attended last month. I don't know most of the dishes but I do see jollof rice, moimoi (steamed bean pudding), pounded yam etc. But I noticed something similar to what we have in Malaysia...Anyway, I am certainly getting used to the local dishes already. To a degree...but still the heat is something I need to work on. Meaning I need to eat more...hahahahaha


this one really looks familiar..taste the same too.
We call it 'sambal ikan'

Smile Madam....say 'Peak'....I think it was the smile that caught my eye since uni days...
We left the compound around 3pm and Madam told me that we need to get back to the place in Maryland. She still need to attend the course...Oh my...talk about career woman. With some packed food by Esther, we head back to Lagos.

Sofas sold in open air...

Green taxis of Abeokuta, Ogun State

Entrance of the stadium

MKO Abiola International Stadium
Home ground of Gateway United FC

The name Adonai certainly rings a bell...
The journey back was slower. It rained and traffic was bad in certain areas. Here and there we could see ram being sold at the market by the roadside. Some areas where traffic is slow, Madam bought some plantain chips for her colleagues attending the course. Naturally I will try some since this time around, the packaging is different here.

The usual packaging and
the unusual one (conical shape)

Market selling ram and cattle at the border of Lagos - Ogun,
Kara market

The National Arts Theatre's roof in the distance
That was the trip to Abeokuta. It was a short trip, will arrange another one soon. Got to see with my own eyes the Olumo Rock, a tourist attraction in Ogun State. Got to check with Madam....she's the man. Worst case, do the trip on my own and be back before Madam realises I was away...hmmmm maybe. 

As for the camera practise, I did took a lot of pictures. Most shown here were unedited (because I am lazy to do) so it has to be OK when I snap them at the function. Too much editing has been an issue...almost to a point of a question of ethics in some article I read recently. Anyway, I am quite pleased with some of the result...but I am sure there's a lot more to learn.

Last but not least....What does these two pictures have in common? 



No comments:

Post a Comment