Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Saturday 26 September 2015

NIGERIA: Happy 66th Birthday Abah (Dad)!!!

Me, 1y.o with dad and his 504 Pug
I remembered the question he asked me as if it was only yesterday...

(translated from Bahasa Malaysia)
"I give you 3 ringgit (our currency), and a box of milk is 30sen (cents)..how much can you buy?", my answer was wrong and what happened next was priceless. Oh yes it was...because after 38 years of my life I can still remember it. 

My dad went...ahem...berserk! He hit the steering wheel a few times with his palm and his left hand searching for my leg and give me a pinch. Dad and his 'pop-quiz'...I always dread whenever he does that. 

That was just one of many memories of my childhood about my dad. A strict and very discipline man, which didn't rub off on me...sigh. He is a very nice man... never heard him curse anyone in his life. Never...

The youngest boy from the second family (that's how we describe my dad's side of the family). A total of 48 siblings from 4 mothers! Huge family. Atok or grandpa was a famous religious teacher from Muar, Johore, Malaysia. 

Dad's siblings and spouse
Dad and his sibling, and spouse.
Pak Ngah (Tan Sri Aziz Yassin) 3rd from left is the eldest in family. Mak Ani (Puan Sri Hjh Norainee) and Pak Itam (TSMY, can Google: TSMY Malaysia), 4th and 5th from left. 


The Family Tree published in 2011. A few already passed.
Note Dad and TSMY (second family, Hjh Khadijah),
Shahid and Muhyiddin
I doubt there's no part on me that had never received any of his strict treatment while growing up. Hand, belt, belt buckle, rolled up sarong, towel, cane, bulu ayam or feather duster, feet etc etc...oh ya, a match (but it was one time only)..hahahahah..the list I bet is longer. 

But animosity towards him, none. It's because while 'administering' us using any of the things he can reach...I mean literally anything he can reach, he will tell you what was wrong. It's either a note in red ink by the teacher telling the homework was pass its due or any of my siblings got hurt because of my antics...hahahaha.  

It was many years later, after I become a father myself that he said this to me. 


"Be firm, but fair"

OMG... which part of his discipline was fair? But it's natural for human to remember tragedy instead of celebrating the good ones. I did remembered when he bought me those plastic toy soldiers, spend his weekend sawing wood to make an M-16 rifle and it was painted black to effect, built a small cage for the rabbits, the inflatable pool, ice creams, the ATARI, Sega, computer, laptops, showed us what happens when you light up a mixture of water and right amount of carbide in a close container....and BOOOOMMMMM! played marbles, spinning top and much more... Ahhhhh..it does make sense. "Just like playing kite"...he said that too..one time.

With Ben and Fay, I try my best to just do that. The discipline (tug) and fun time (release), just like kite flying. A balance of both...One comes after the other and both in good measure. Not too much of either...yes, firm but fair.

Anyway, on this auspicious occasion..would like to wish him, again..Happy 66th Birthday! (September 22nd, 1949) May Allah be with you at every step in life, His blessing in this world and hereafter.

Before I end this post...let me regale you with another piece of memory which goes wayyyyyy back to kindergarten years. 

My parents used to ask me.... If I love them. 

"Of course I do!" 

So they would asked me again,

"how much?" (a lot and little, made  sense during those tender years..a lot is good, little is bad)...and I would reply.

"A LOT! Like leaves in the world"..I replied. 


Yes, dad @ abah...Love you lots!!! 
-From all of us in Lagos, Nigeria

Ahehhhh....


Us....family













No comments:

Post a Comment