Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Friday 2 October 2015

NIGERIA: Lagos: Eid al-Kabir (Part 1)

We celebrated Eid ul-Fitr (Aidil Fitri) in Malaysia and that was during the school summer holiday, but Eid al-Kabir, Aidil Adha, Hari Raya Korban or Hari Raya Haji (Hajj) in Nigeria for a change. It's a two day public holiday, so going back to Malaysia is not an option. 


certainly a one way ticket for the ram
This year's Hajj season was marred with tragedy. First was the crane accident at Masjidil Haram in Mecca and the stampede in Mina (May Allah grant them Jannah). In my mind, the previous Friday's khutbah (sermon) by Imam Sulaiman Ibrahim urging Muslims to do the Qurban (slaughtering of livestock). 

If you've met or have Nigerian friends, they can be very animated during conversation, so does this particular Imam. 
He told the story of Allah's prophet Abraham and his son, Ismael in a very out of ordinary manner....but in a nice way, actually (all the hand gestures and slaughter was a hand across the neck). He mentioned about the livestock, the age, the condition, price and the dividing of the meat. Regarding price, he was talking about the need to strive for the best livestock...but within budget. Do not abandon your niat (intention) and focus on the reward in hereafter....and that is faith. He reminded the verse from the Holy Koran which we recite at least 5 times a day...


"Say. Indeed My prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my life and my death are all for Allah, The Lord of The Worlds"
- Surah Al An'am/The Cattle (6:162)

I put off the idea of doing the Qurban this year until the moment we were on our way back to Lagos from Abeokuta, Ogun state (story here) where we passed the Kara Market which was full with goats and cattle. 

Kara livestock market, Lagos


A quick chat with Madam and we decided to go ahead with it. I contacted Madam's colleague, Zaharan which I met in Kaduna last August (Madam's Birthday, here). Before this, I've had contacted him about the Hausa cap. I WApped him a day before Eid and enquire the probability of purchasing a ram, to have it slaughter and distributed for the celebration. 

His first visit immediately after the message was in vain as the sky opened up and it rained heavily. It was in the morning of Eid, Zaharan returned to the ram market in Kakuri, Kaduna. As I was getting ready to go to the mosque that morning, he sent me a picture of a ram. I agreed.


Kakuri, Kaduna state



I was happy, at last in a short span of time managed to get a ram and participated in the Qurban this year. The merit of doing it was so overbearing and I am thankful to Madam whom persuaded me to do it this year rather than putting it off until next year's Eid al-Kabir. To see ram on okada (motorcycle taxi), at the back of pickup and even in a taxi...you just can't help the feeling of the need to do the Qurban there and then. The suasana or atmosphere here in Nigeria is just so amazing. 

Mr. Saifuddin from the MATRADE (Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation) office in Nigeria suggested we go to the Syrian Mosque just off Awolowo Road in Ikoyi, Lagos. Due to the size of the congregation, the nearby field was converted to an open air mosque. It was about 9.30 when we performed the solah. It was a short solah and a sermon by the imam from Egypt followed afterwards. It was also a short sermon as the weather was not permitting. It has been raining in the mornings for the past few weeks. 



The imam giving his sermon...dark clouds approaching


Me and Mr. Saifuddin
After prayer, we adjourned to the nearby cafe to buy breakfast for the children at home. Later that day, we had invited a few guests to come over to our place. All from Malaysia, to have lunch and maybe tea. I look forward to these events as we hang out and talk about current events back home in Malaysia. 




The Syrian Mosque
 Zaharan WApped sent me a message informing that he was about to perform the qurban and requested that I say my prayer. After a few surah and du'a ... another set of pictures arrived. He sent me pictures of the ram.




It was a strange feeling, I tell you. Felt relieved. Vindicated.  Along with the one I did in Cambodia for Faith, this one was for Benjamin. Managed to do for both children and surely next year will be another round. In Lagos, perhaps. Better prepared and not at the last minute....Aheh!

No comments:

Post a Comment