Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Wednesday 5 September 2018

NIGERIA: Me a Tai tai?

Tai-Tai

A wealthy married woman who does not work or a privileged lady with lots of time to spare and money to spend...

I am not sure if there's any antonym for it but certainly I have the time but need to work harder on the money department.

The first time I heard the term was on my way back to Malaysia during one of the flight on Business class deck on a 380 Airbus at the lounge. With children in tow, of course we were barraged with questions from everyone else. 

"You're travelling with children, from where" one asked
"Lagos, Nigeria" I said

"Wah lao (some sort of exclamation.. frequently heard in Malaysia and Singapore) ... that far eh?" another one adds, an engineer for the airline flying home for much needed break.

"yup, 20hours flight time... not many would do, especially if flying to Africa.. " TRUE.. I've flown multiple airlines that serves Africa continent and mostly are 20+ trip. 

The next question would usually be along the line of ... How did I ended up there? Wife, would be sufficient answer. Nigerian lady? Nope Malaysian... I don't mind another one, I laughed. Then, from the bench...the engineer again said something that would make me laugh.

"You must be "tai-tai"... lucky you!"he said
"hahahahahahah" we both laughed... I wish.






No comments:

Post a Comment