Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Friday 22 May 2015

The best things in life are either FREE or CHEAP: Ireke

While browsing the old photos I took since we came to Lagos, Nigeria; one thing stands out. It was the picture of food. This one is very dear to me. It will always reminds me of my parents back in Malaysia. In Malay we called it tebu, sugarcane or ireke in Yoruba. My dad used to buy a long stalk which he would cut into smaller pieces so that me and my brother could enjoy it. That was lightyears away. But I still can remember those Sunday afternoons sucking at the sugarcane and sometimes overdo it that we would cough bits of it. 

a barrow full of sweet ireke
Anyway, it is a common sight in Lagos (at least) to see fruit seller by the roadside selling their produce on wheelbarrow. You'll see them selling mangoes, popo (papaya), cuts of pineapple, local oranges etc. Those are quite common. But ireke, I would consider myself lucky if I could find even one of them. Some say that, on Lagos Island area there aren't many of them. But they are around...playing 'hide-and-seek' with me.

The first time I met the ireke seller were at a mosque, after Friday prayer. Since it was back in January, and we just arrived a few days earlier...it didn't register to me. But a month later and saw the same person at a nearby mosque, I asked Kabir to call him over. We tasted a few and choose the best one..we think, and asked the man to skin it. Each was about a feet long and each costs N50 (RM 0.90 / USD 0.25).

selecting
okay, a few more..for good measure

skin it....
At home, Madam cut into smaller pieces and keep it cold in the refrigerator. At night while watching movie, she took a few out and asked the children to try. In Malaysia, we consume the liquid version of the sugarcane. Madam was trying her best to persuade the children to try and would like our children to taste and enjoy it like we do... As usual, and as with the durians too...Faith's taste bud is the best! Ben? Not so....

cuts of refrigerated ireke
It was satisfying to see Faith enjoying it. It does bring back memories..(ok am a very sentimental kind of guy). The hot afternoons in the 80's sitting in front of my dad, enjoying the sugar cane..without a care in the world and we were not in a hurry to grow up. Those were the days....hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment