Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Thursday 21 May 2015

Lekki Market (Arts and Crafts - Part 2) aka Negotiated Compromise

With the porter boy in tow, we headed for the vege market which is actually within the same compound of the Arts and Crafts section. Marijke told me that to get fresh produce, it arrives on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday around noon. The vege market reminds me of the market in Malaysia when I was a boy in the early 80's. 

the vege market
tomatoes, not your average size and shape, also the spicy pepper (Ata rodo) on the gunny sack
Price wise, it is a lot cheaper to buy vege here compared to the likes of Shoprite, SPAR, Bazaar and other well established shops, of course. Again you bargain, but not so much...maybe. Maybe just to fend off the sellers persuasion to buy more of the produce. I tell you, these Nigerian make good salesman/woman. They are very persistent. That's what Madam said.

On my first visit, only bought some popo (papaya) and a crate of eggs. Popo was N300 and for the crateful of eggs was N800. The top end egg variety would fetch as high as N1300 thereabouts at the leading store. Maybe these were the grade B or C eggs. 

eggs
the local fruits, the pineapples are very sweet!
avocados
capsicum, cabbage, aubergine/brinjal/eggplant 
focus on carrots...size are small to medium and the good ones in the supermarket is expensive

There are a few Chinese shops at the market selling their produce, from China. Also, a lone Thai shop selling rice, flour, thai sauce etc... and souvenirs from back home. Thailand, I mean.




basmati and thai rice side by side...sizes from a kilo all the way to 25 kilo package
they have it all...
When I say all...please note the SEGA game console. It does bring back memories. 

smile Peter!
Marijke bought lots of vege and so the boy ferried things she bought to and fro to the car. Efficient...The shopkeeper would wave at the boy and he would know that the things were Marijke's. 

I went to a shop owned by Peter, and bought some batteries for Benjamin's guitar tuner. Only cost me few Nairas for the button cell batteries..the flat ones. All in all, made new friends and it was fun. The only thing I couldn't find was the stone mortar (lesung batu). I  purposely left ours in Malaysia. I did not include it in our packing list thinking that there would be a similar one in Lagos. Maybe not here, in Lekki Market. Maybe at Emjays or Bazaar (very famous Indian shop). 

Anyway, next visit would be the tailor. Time to try the Ankara fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment