Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Thursday 27 August 2015

MALAYSIA: Muar, JOHORE: About an uncle...

After I bought my first ever camera, the advised given to me by the pros was...practise, practise and practise. Train your eye and the thing between your ears...your brain. 

So I began experimenting with the camera. The end result was a very trigger-happy camera noob. 

One of the best chance I had was when my dad's family organized a break fast kenduri (feast) at my late grandfather's school in Muar, Johor. My grandfather, Allahyarham Tuan Guru (it means teacher) Haji Mohammad Yassin bin Muhammad (I will check the spelling..it is quite confusing actually). 

My late grandfather
Allahyarham Tuan Guru Haji Mohd. Yassin bin Muhammad

Yes, I daresay his name is spelt differently on almost each of his children birth cert or Identification Card (I/C). Those were the days, when the person whom was responsible to record any birth and death in the town was the police sergeant. He could be sleepy when the messenger boy was sent to inform of the birth of a new baby. Maybe that's why some people got funny name or a father's name was spelt differently in each of the children's  birth cert. I can imagine the confusion to spell my grandfather's name because....this is how my father's family tree look like:

This was back in 2011, many has left us since then...
 My dad has 4 mothers and he is 2nd last of the 2nd family  (Hajah Khadijah binti Haji Kassim)...and I kid you not when I tell you that in his I/C it was spelt Mohamed Yassin....

Dad (left most in middle row) with his siblings and spouse
during Eid gathering in Muar, Johore 

Anyway, back to the function at Atok Boy's (grandfather) school...we (me and dad) arrived early and I began taking pictures almost immediately. 

Surau Sa'adiah or Atok's Surau
(surau - small mosque, it's the closest I can think of)


The surau and the school
the dining are for break fast

After Asar (asr, late afternoon prayer), some of the family members arrived. My dad mingled around with his siblings and talking to family friends. 





It was about 6pm when my uncle arrived from Kuala Lumpur with his wife....



After we read Yaseen and tahlil, my uncle gave his speech which IMHO was a very good reminder to all who aspire to become a leader someday. Some would say he dropped the "bomb" that night which, maybe..I mean maybe sealed his fate later on.




If you look back at the family tree, he (my uncle) is just above my father. He is 2 years older than dad, May 15th,1947..(I think) and dad is on Sept. 22nd, 1949.

The eldest sibling in the family, TS Haji Aziz Yassin





Break fast is always a big affair in our family, more so when the main menu is Bariani Gam. It's a family specialty...and also Sirap Bandung with Ice Cream soda added to it. It was delicious. Sitting at the table, waiting to break fast was agonizing...but all in all it was really worth it. Worth the time traveled to Muar from Kuala Lumpur...

Yes..Uncle was the former Deputy PM of Malaysia... Seriously speaking, I've never been comfortable talking or write about him. It's a matter of keeping things low profile and not to ruffle his feather too much with request....if you get my meaning. But, maybe this is the first time....I will write more about him and the rest of his siblings in the future. Uncle looked serious right? Yup, my dad was like that too. Splitting image of the incredible hulk if he is angry (I mean my dad, not uncle...) hahahahahaha... I am so screwed right now. Better stop before I go on and on....or maybe, in another posting? Aheh...... 

1 comment: