Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Sunday 29 May 2016

NIGERIA: Lagos: A Wedding (Igbo) - Victor Nnaemeka and Thelma Uzoamaka

A few weeks ago, I gave Madam one of my traditional Malay costume for her to do buba and sokoto (shirt and pants/trouser). Incidentally, Sokoto (with capital 'S') is also a state in North West of Nigeria. The way you pronounce it make all the difference. But of course they know which one you're referring to when talking to them.

The main reason Madam asked for my best Malay dress because we were invited to a wedding! The first one since we arrived in Lagos.

the invite...

There will be the wedding ceremony and mass at the church, followed by the reception at ICAN (Institute of Chartered Accountant of Nigeria) not far from an area called Festac..or was it in Festec? Anyway, we got there in the end.

Here, if you're unsure where your destination in....just stop and talk to the okada driver (motorcycle taxi driver). They were nice enough to tell us the direction although I bet, with some Naira, they would drive ahead of you all the way to the place....saying 'please' or 'abeg' helps too.... Thats pidgin for you.



here they call these 3 wheeled transport
keke marwa or keke napep
you want steel doors? gates? no wahala


Upon entering the ICAN Centre, there were a few ladies with fresh Naira notes. They asked me if I want to change some money. I thanked them, but said no. Not at the moment, I told them. 

Anyway, the bride and groom were already at the parking compound of the centre and the photographers were busy snapping pictures of the newly wed.



the groom and his bride
I am not a wedding photographer or feel comfortable taking pictures of people. I was very hesitant at first but since there were so many of the pros snapping and directing both the bride and groom, you began to get the 'feel'. 

Then you see the familiar faces around the compound. I saw JP, Franklin, Acho and Ugo among the guests. Of course they will flock to Madam....she's the big kahuna. 



JP and Madam
Ugo, JP, madam..., Franklin and Acho

Where was I? I was loss among the group photographers taking pictures of the bride and all these very colorful guests which began to fill the small compound, waiting their turn to have their picture taken with Victor and his wife, the newlyweds.

Aminu and .....

ICAN Centre

ladies in same color clothes...similar design
is optional, they are good at fashion.
photographers busy at their tasks

nice....pretty bridesmaid! ehhennnn....

By now, the parking lot is abuzz with all the guests and then it was the parents turn to take pictures with their children....Acho led me and Madam into the hall. At the same time, there were other wedding functions at the same time. It will be pretty embarrassing if you mistakenly entered the wrong hall. 

with parents and relatives
I feel safe with them around...honest


the dais for the bride and groom
red carpet for the VIP guests
The emcee was very entertaining. We felt welcomed and he was funny too. He invited the parents first to the main table and this was the interesting part. Mum and dad came into the hall with their entourage. Not walking, no; but dancing to the beat all the way to the main table. The bride's parents too danced all the way from the entrance to the table accompanied by close friends and relatives.


Chief with his ivory staff
Two families 'unite' at the table
main sponsors of the event, that day
the Emcee and his little helper



Finally, it was the bride and groom's turn to enter the hall and start the reception. So, I went back to there spot where they would start to dance walk all the way  to the dais, and so they dance....and dance until I saw someone was throwing 'paper' onto the floor? 

It was not paper...but money! Crisp new Naira notes on the floor! They call it 'money spraying'. I saw Acho spray money to the floor while the bride dance and oh yes, dance she did. It must be every girls dream to dance and sprayed with crisp Naira. I heard the Yorubas do it differently, but these are Igbos and I have something to confess....

I felt quite 'dizzy' looking at the money 'sprayed' on the floor. I tried to take the pictures of the money and I was shaken. Why? I almost reached down and take a handful of the new Naira. I think it was 500N and 1000N on the floor....I imagine the amount of fuel I can buy! It was bloody tempting to reach one but I guessed one of the bridesmaid saw an oyinbo (foreigner, white man) almost fainted, so she duly picked the money from harms way.





dance baby dance...
can I have some? for fuel... ;-)
Finally together on stage for all to see
The event was pretty interesting. The emcee would ask funny questions and expects both of them answered it in the most naughty way. There was the cake cutting ceremony and then there were the blessing speech from the elders of the newly wed either in Igbo or English. I thing there was the wedding dance of the bride and groom and also with their parents. We were at the back busy talking about the function and what comes next. It was because, you can clearly see people were moving from one table to another carrying boxes.

During this time, the waiter and waitress busy carrying boxes of beverage to our table and it was a lot of booze. One by one too, I saw ladies from our table went to the buffet table and brought back food. It was very subtle, but from the way it was presented....you get to see who got served first. All these while the music was on, and they dance.... while serving the others food. Btw, I had jollof rice with chicken and mutton, and juice...in case you were wondering what we got served that day.

just give me juice.... 
Uno, wife and baby boy. I took their picture
when she was 8mnths pregnant, click here
it's called 'garden egg', waiter goes
around offering these to guests
Madam and Ugo's son
Esther, JP, Loritta, Ngozi, Madam, Fadaka,..., Hope
one last photo before we leave the place..
It was fun and also privilege to be at the wedding. As usual, I enjoyed the company of friends old and new. I had another function with my Malaysian friends later in evening. Just me, not madam though. Went to pay Kak Puspa a visit....it has been awhile and look forward to her 'the tarik' while chatting with her and her hubby.

I like the outfit. In fact, I wore it again a few weeks later to Nigeria Food exhibition in Eko Hotel. Spoke to Madam, for this year's Eid, we go Naija.... Aheh...





p/s: now I now why there were ladies selling new crisp Naira notes outside the ICAN Centre... spray!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment