Aheh or Eheh or Eh Eh or Eh are often heard when talking to the Naija....

A sign of confirm or mere saying "I hear you and understand".

Come to think of it, everyone does it... No? Different sound, same meaning...I use "ek" or "uhuh" or even "mmmhmmmm" a lot!

Saturday 11 April 2015

Amsterdam: I AMSTERDAM (on my own)

Me and Madam, we go wayyyy back. So much so that we can second guessed each other. We have been in each other's company since the last century....hahahah..not as long as some, but long enough to be able to understand her mood, her reaction and everything in between. You can say I am a student of Madam's 'weather'. The look on her face when she is concentrating, the sound of her voice, what she thinks, the subtle change in her behaviour and worse, the sudden drop of temperature and suddenly the sun doesn't seem to shine bright enough...and a tempest is just over the horizon.  

I look at her, maybe I did something wrong or not to her liking. Can't help it, I was made to annoy her. It's an art that I perfected, and that's how I bump all the other suitors. Men, life is stress enough...inject some humour in your life. Make your partner laugh... that way you can have 2,3 or 4 in one go! Muahahahahahaha! My mantra to Madam, whatever it is you're still Number 1!!!

Now, Madam has very little trust in me. That made our relationship in a way 'spicier' and as a student of Madam's 'weather' I would just push the envelope little by little. To see how far I can go with something without EVER getting caught. And now this, letting me go astray in Amsterdam! Gosh! Even the flag has 3 X's (although it doesn't really mean that, actually..you know Sex). I don't think that's what the founding father's and mother's of Amsterdam had in mind. 

Left alone, I started to walk to a museum that caught my interest. 


The choice was obvious right? 
It was an easy decision. The easiest one in my adult life. LET'S GO TO THE AMSTERDAM TULIP MUSEUM!!! hahahahahahahahahah!!!! It's free. Free is good! The 'other' museum I have to pay. 

Anyhow, I had a brisk walk along the Prisengracht (Prince Canal) saw Anne Frank Museum and Westchurch, I think and the museum is not far from it at the opposite side of the bank. Looking at various maps I have, it would be impossible to miss the place. But in Amsterdam, where land is at premium so the houses and buildings are very 'slim'. So does the museum too. Could miss it if you're 'high'..

The Westchurch? (beside the Anne Frank Museum)

Tulips!

The Amsterdam Tulip Museum

When you enter the museum, it will be the souvenir shop selling all items about tulips. Books, fridge magnets, plates, mugs, glass tulips, painted wood tulips, all type of tulip bulbs for sale in brown paper bag (sorry, I seemed to misplaced lots of pictures. All in all about 6000pictures in Amsterdam during our visit). 

The souvenir and entrance of the museum (from their site)

Checked in my I AMSTERDAM card at the counter, entered the small museum thru the turnstile. First, a video presentation about tulips. 

What I remembered was tulip were not originated form the Netherlands. But of the highlands in some part in Asia. It was brought to Turkey where it was revered by the Ottoman caliphate. It was said there were 'Tulip Parties' held in the palace. So revered by the Turks that it was called Laleh (the flower of God). Even the Arab spelling is almost similar to the word Allah. The video also mentioned about 'Tulipmania' which crashed and caused many to loose their investment and some became destitute. 

But still, the Dutch built the tulip industry again and made it known all over the world that it is theirs and had perfected the technique and in North Holland, especially Keukenhof..they are the 'Master of Tulips'.

Tiles, vases, urn all adorned with tulip

The obsession with tulip

The tulip, that ruled them all.
Semper Augustus


watercolour picture of Semper Augustus
the most expensive during Tulipmania 

How expensive? The display below shows a single bulb could well be pricier than a house. Some, more expensive than that of a ship! The prices kept going up, and the bubble exploded in 1637! 


The price comparison. Also note, the green glass which I saw earlier at Rijksmuseum

The tulip display vase

Tools of trade in the tulip business

I forgot to mention that the tulip made its way to Holland after a government official was given a tulip bulb by the Turks and the rest is history. There was also a video presentation on the method of farming. The bulbs were planted just before winter. It seemed that the first flower were cut and the bulb were left for another season where it will flower again and the bulb sold all over the world (I think it was like that or I got confused with the video)


How can you not like the colour!

I went to the souvenir shop, but I was unsure of buying any of the bulbs. I was tempted though, but maybe next time. 


Bulbs for sale

The tower and the Anne Frank Museum beside it

I left the museum with tonnes of photos and make my way to the Red Light District. As usual, there were lots of flags of rainbow colour and coffee shop lined up the streets. There were also some nice condom shop with all the funny stuffs. Shops selling weed and items of long conical shape and leathery items. I would by a handcuff or a whip...the maid uniform looks nice too...if I am not that calculative...I was saving for something else..

Madam, somehow knows that I would 'accidentally' find my way at the district kept reminding me to be wary while taking pictures. I told her not to worry as an old adage "you've seen one, you've seen 'em all". I walked along the red window and stopped to look but the samples on display was OK-OK. Nothing to shout about. Maybe I need some special pass to see the nicer items. That is why, me and my best friend in Lagos, Ramon...we've decided that another visit to Amsterdam should be made soon. Ramon, a native of North Holland working in Lagos will be my tourist guide..and that one will be a blast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment